[ntp:questions] NTP for P2P synchronization

Kemal Oral CANSIZLAR cansizla at usc.edu
Thu Mar 3 13:15:55 UTC 2005

Hi all,

The peer-to-peer(P2P) research project I am involved in needs some way to
synchronize the clocks of individual nodes in order for accurate,
distributed event logging. But here is the nasty part; the nodes are
end-users (majority of whom could be technophobians) whch may be behind a
firewall/NAT and NTP (which we favor to use due to its ubiquity and
credibility; the collected statistics will be used to assist our ongoing
research) runs over UDP only, and I know TCP would adversely affect the time
synchronization due to several reasons. However, I am desperately looking
for a TCP implementation of NTP (if any), or a protocol that is the best
alternative. I would also welcome any pointers on how to synchronize such a
heterogenous, autonomous system... In the worst case, I may think of
accommodating NTP over UDP (coupled with firewall configuration using uPnP),
and a type of TCP time protocol to at least loosely sync the clocks when no
options avilable at the peer node...

Thank you all in advance,

Regards,

-Kemal.