[ntp:questions] NTP for P2P synchronization

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Mar 3 13:57:08 UTC 2005

At 5:15 AM -0800 2005-03-03, Kemal Oral CANSIZLAR wrote:

>                                           However, I am desperately looking
>  for a TCP implementation of NTP (if any), or a protocol that is the best
>  alternative.

	You won't find such a beast -- NTP is inherently a UDP protocol.
Doing NTP over TCP would introduce timing errors that would destroy
the very reason it was created in the first place.  You might as well
try to perform brain surgery with a nuclear weapon.

	You could always use rdate over ssh (or other cryptographically
secure method) if you are incapable of using UDP, but that has a
whole host of limitations.

>               I would also welcome any pointers on how to synchronize such a
>  heterogenous, autonomous system...

	It depends on what your requirements are.  If you want high
accuracy and precision with the option of strong cryptographic server
authentication, then NTP is the best way.  If not, there are plenty
of other alternatives.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755