[ntp:questions] Re: Can sync via IPv4 but not IPv6?

Dan Lowe dan at ingeni.us
Thu Mar 3 18:41:55 UTC 2005

Ronan Flood <ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk> wrote:

>> Here's the error I get from the client.
>
> Is the client also running Solaris, or what?

Yes, it is.  Not the exact same patch level maybe, but Solaris 8 on
both ends.

> Anyway this looks like a bug in ntpdate, routine findserver().

This analysis jogged my memory into remembering that ntpd can also sync
time.  I skewed the time on a host, wrote a quick ntp.conf with only one
IPv6 server in it and tried:

    ntpd -c my.conf -q

It worked!  I guess ntpdate being deprecated means it's a bit less tended
to than ntpd itself.  Fortunately, I don't need ntpdate and so I can ignore
it.

Thanks!

 -dan