[ntp:questions] Installing reference clocks

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Mar 4 07:40:38 UTC 2005

At 11:29 PM -0600 2005-03-03, Ramanathan Palaniappan wrote:

>      I am new to NTP..I would just like to know how to interface a GPS
>  clock with ntpd running on my linux.

	That's going to depend on what clock you've got.

>  I also have a Truetime GPS card installed in my PC. I downloaded the ntp
>  source from ntp.org, compiled and installed it.

	Did you build it with support for refclocks?  Did you build it
with support for your refclock?  If not, then you're not going to be
able to get it to work with your refclock.  By default, I don't think
ntpd will be built with support for any refclocks of the sort you're
talking about.

>                                                   Do the drivers that come
>  with the std ntp distribution be able to detect my Truetime GPS card...

	They should do, yes.

>  If not, what can I atleast do to make the ntpd daemon running ? Right now,
>  the ntpdate daemon exits saying "no servers can be used, exiting".

	There is no "ntpdate daemon".  There is ntpd, which is the "NTP
Daemon", but this is not ntpdate.

	A lot is going to depend on your configuration file.  See the
official documentation at
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html>, the NTP FAQ
at <http://www.ntp.org/ntpfaq/NTP-a-faq.htm>, the NTP Community
Supported documentation at
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/WebHome>, and the archives of
the USENET newsgroup comp.protocols.time.ntp (which is gatewayed as
the mailing list questions at ntp.isc.org, archives for which are at
<http://lists.ntp.isc.org/pipermail/questions/>).

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755