[ntp:questions] Re: Installing reference clocks

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Fri Mar 4 07:20:27 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.8.1109914153.588.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
Ramanathan Palaniappan <ram at cs.wisc.edu> wrote:

> downloaded the ntp source from ntp.org, compiled and installed it. Do the
> drivers that come with the std ntp distribution be able to detect my Truetime
> GPS card...

I don't know whether or not there is a driver for your card, but ntpd will
not auto-detect reference clocks; you must include a server line in the
configuration file that specifies the type of clock (or rather the way
that you communicate with the clock).

If you believe you have properly configured a server, you will need to
tell us the exact model of the card and the contents of your ntpd.conf
file, the ntpd generated lines from the system log, any card specific
configuration, and the output of ntpq's peers command before people can
really help you.

NB.  As of ntpd 4.2.0, there is only support for accessing Truetime receivers
through serial ports.  If that is still the case, unless your card emulates
a serial port and you have defined the appropriate symbolic links, you will
need to find a third party driver or write one yourself.

> If not, what can I atleast do to make the ntpd daemon running ? Right now, the
> ntpdate daemon exits saying "no servers can be used, exiting".

ntpdate does not support local reference clocks.  It's also deprecated.
If you weren't trying to set the time with it, but were using it as a
diagnostic for the server that is actually talking to the card, you
should be using ntpq to diagnose the server.