[ntp:questions] Re: Can ntpd act as an STNP client?

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at meinberg.de
Fri Mar 4 10:13:27 UTC 2005

Mark,

Mark Brown wrote:

> I am running Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1, and need to connect to a timer
> server that uses the SNTP protocol. Can the normal tools (ntpd?) act as an
> SNTP client?

SNTP stands for Simple NTP. It is a subset of the normal NTP, the protocol
being compatible with the standard NTP.

ntpd is a full featured NTP server and client, so it doesn't make much sense
to let ntpd be a client of a SNTP server. The better way would be
vice-versa, i.e. install a full featured NTP server which makes the time
available to both NTP and SNTP clients.

Best regards,

Martin
--