[ntp:questions] hardpps and ntpd

ic_ntp at smoke.com.au ic_ntp at smoke.com.au
Sun Mar 6 11:37:46 UTC 2005

If I run ntpd with a number of external servers, they discipline the local
machine clock based on the the offset to the servers left after the
selection clustering and filtering algorithims.

If I add a reference clock, this is treated as another server and used in
the same algorithms.

However when I enable hardpps on a reference clock, this disciplines the
kernel directly from the PPS signal.  (from reading RFC 1589)

So does this mean that both ntpd & hardpps() are disiplining the kernel?
Or does ntpd stop disciplining  when hardpps is enabled ?

					Ian Clark