[ntp:questions] forwarding

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Mar 7 12:50:49 UTC 2005

At 11:54 AM +0000 2005-03-07, David J Taylor wrote:

>  I, too, find it annoying to have multiple sources feeding this newsgroup.
>  I would prefer if eveyone simply used NNTP to talk directly to
>  comp.protocols.time.ntp.  Is there still a good reason for reflectors
>  etc.?

	Yes, there is.  A lot of people do not have access to a news
reader, and wouldn't know how to use one if they did.

	Looking at the list of subscribers, there are 129 addresses on
the list, and you have to be a subscriber before the mailing list
software will accept your message and post it to the list, gateway it
to the newsgroup, etc....  Conversely, you don't have to be a member
to post to the newsgroup.

	This is also how spam sometimes manages to get sent out to the
mailing list recipients -- it gets posted to the newsgroup, and
anything posted to the newsgroup is automatically sent to the mailing
list, regardless.

	Looking back through the complete archives of the entire time
that the mail/news gateway has been in operation (going back to Fri,
18 Jul 2003 20:13:25 +0200), I see a total of 715 unique addresses
that have posted, and many of those are clearly bogus and would never
have been accepted by Mailman as mailing list subscribers.  So, I
would say that the vast majority of one-time and low-time posters are
coming from the USENET side.

	The mailing list provides a very valuable service.  Because of
the restriction of requiring someone to subscribe before they're
allowed to post, it seems that we're keeping most of the riff-raff
away, at least from the mailing list side.

	From my perspective, it seems to me that the mailing list does
little harm, and a lot of good.  However, if you can give me
conclusive proof that the mailing list/newsgroup gateway is causing
irreparable harm to the newsgroup, then I would be inclined to work
hard to try to find alternative solutions.

>  On the subject of splitting the newsgroup, I don't believe there is enough
>  traffic to justify this, although if someone could be bothered to go
>  through the process I certainly wouldn't oppose it.

	If someone wants to go through the process to propose creating a
new group for the express purpose of taking the gatewayed traffic
from the mailing list, I would not be opposed to that.  But you
should read through the guidelines on what it takes to create a new
newsgroup before you try to carry that through.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755