[ntp:questions] Re: those secret incantations!!!

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.not-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk
Mon Mar 7 17:46:28 UTC 2005

Charles wrote:
> Can anybody recommend a good on-line discussion or
> glossary or dictionary of the various terms used in the
> for fedora core 3 file /etc/ntp.conf  ???
>
> In particular, the word "fudge".
> Tnx,
> Charles

Good question!  I searched with Google and found:

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/refclock.html

which says:

"Individual clocks can be activated by configuration file commands,
specifically the server and fudge commands described in the ntpd program
manual page."

but if you go the to the "ntpd program manual page" at:

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpd.html

the word "fudge" cannot be found.  However, if you look at the individual
reference clock driver entries, such as:

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver36.html

the Fudge Factors are listed there.

Cheers,
David