[ntp:questions] Re: those secret incantations!!!

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Mar 8 21:48:55 UTC 2005

David,

Expanding on my history lesson of last April in ACM Computer
Communications Review, Dennis Fergusson of U Toronto was the original
author of what eventually morphed into modern ntpd. This was circa 1984.
Dennis originally intended to run it both in vivo on an embedded
processor and in vitro as a Unix daemon. He was very interested in
calibrating out little systematic wiggles, so he invented the fudge
command, primarily because the configuration line length was limited. He
and I always wished the fudge would go away at the first opportunity to
rework the configuration code.

Dave