[ntp:questions] restrict lines

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Mar 9 00:06:21 UTC 2005

At 3:19 PM -0600 2005-03-08, Charles wrote:

>  restrict clock.redhat.com mask 255.255.255.255 nomodify noquery notrap

	Restrict only works with numeric IP addresses, not hostnames.

>  I thought that using the machine-name.domain-name.tld-name would
>  be more intelligent,  since it would always map to some IP and the IP
>  could change.

	That would be nice, yes.  Unfortunately, that's not the way it works.

	BTW, most of the information in the man pages usually comes from
the official documentation from Dr. Mills at
<http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html>.  You can also
find links to various other pieces of documentation at
<http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Main/DocumentationIndex>.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755