[ntp:questions] Re: Fingerprinting hosts by clock skew

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Mar 9 10:15:32 UTC 2005

At 8:07 PM -0800 2005-03-08, Michael Deutschmann wrote:

>  If you really can take millidegree accurate readings of temperature via the
>  drift, that would imply that nearly all the noise in the drift is from heat,
>  and the above approach could make a large improvement.  Of course someone
>  would have to work out how to integrate it sanely into the rest of the NTP
>  algorithms...

	As far as the paper is concerned, that's totally irrelevant.  The
system clock skew correction is not being applied to the TCP/IP clock
skew, so even if the server is running NTP and you're not vulnerable
to active attacks, you are still vulnerable to passive and
semi-active attacks.

	Try reading the paper again.

	In the meanwhile, I'm trying to get people in the various
different "free" OS camps to fix their network stacks so that if the
server is running NTP, then the clock skew corrections are applied to
both places, and this should make you relatively immune to even
passive and semi-active attacks.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755