[ntp:questions] "ntpdate" hanging !!

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Wed Mar 9 14:37:11 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> Hi Danny & Brian,
>
> Thanks for you reply.
>
> I have some more concerns on ntpdate behavior. Kindly comment on it:
>
> When ntpdate is using SIGALRM,  dont you think it should make sure
> that  SIGALRM is not blocked.
> In fact "all the signals" which ntpdate uses should not be blocked.
> Please comment on this.
>
> If i change the ntpdate source code in such a way that, all the
> signals  which ntpdate uses are being manually unblocked at startup
> up.
>
> For eg.
> Since ntpdate uses SIGALRM, i shall do the necessary source code
> change  to unblock the SIGALRM in the main function of ntpdate
> program.
>
> How far is the above practice legible.

You need to explain why you are calling ntpdate from inside a program.
It's not meant to be used that way (or ntpd for that matter). Why are
you
not just using ntpd to disipline the clock? Or just run ntpdate before
you run your program?

You need to explain what you are really trying to do and why because
you seem to be focused on the signals rather than the intent.

Danny