[ntp:questions] Re: Fingerprinting hosts by clock skew

Mxsmanic mxsmanic at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 9 17:26:56 UTC 2005

Brian Inglis writes:

> Would be easier to attach the case thermal sensor to the clock
> generator, wherever that is nowadays.

Why not just build hardware RTCs that allow for extremely fine
adjustments via software?  NTP could calculate the correct adjustment,
then program the RTC hardware directly, ultimately producing an
extraordinarily accurate hardware clock.  A clock synchronized in this
way would also eliminate fingerprinting by clock skew, since the skew
would soon fall to zero.