[ntp:questions] Re: restrict lines

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Wed Mar 9 20:41:46 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-08, Charles <charles97 at dunjas.com> wrote:

> I am reading the on-line FreeBSE man page for /etc/ntp.conf

The Official NTP documentation is distributed as HTML only and is
available from http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/index.html

Man pages, or other forms of documentation, are maintained by third
parties.

The Official NTP documentation is accessible from the "Documentation"
link at http://www.ntp.org/ and http://ntp.isc.org/

> Before I found a man page for ntp.conf, I found several on-line
> examples. I thought that using the machine-name.domain-name.tld-name
> would be more intelligent, since it would always map to some IP and
> the IP could change.

Using host names on restrict lines would allow for subversion of the
restrictions through DNS cache poisoning.