[ntp:questions] Re: Fingerprinting hosts by clock skew

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Wed Mar 9 22:45:33 UTC 2005

At 4:52 PM -0500 2005-03-09, mayer at gis.net wrote:

>  It's not worth bothering with all this. I've seen code that use two or
>  three ICMP messages to fingerprint your system and tell exactly what
>  you're running for O/S and hardware. You don't even need to worry about
>  the clock. It can tell just be looking at how it handles the message.

	I know about nmap, and I have some idea of how it works.  One
problem is that a lot of places block ICMP, and many host-level
firewalling implementations will do the same.  Operating systems like
OpenBSD will randomize certain aspects of any response packets that
do get sent back, and the result will be a machine that will be
difficult or impossible to determine what they're running.

	The clock skew-based fingerprint techniques are just one
additional method that programs like nmap might use to help them try
to do their job just that bit better.  Which is precisely the reason
why a serious attempt should be made to correct this weakness.

	For the NTP community, there's nothing we can do, at least on
this one.  The work needs to be done elsewhere, by other people.  We
can try to contact the appropriate people, but that's about it.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755