[ntp:questions] forwarding

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Mar 12 20:51:58 UTC 2005

At 1:02 PM -0600 2005-03-12, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>  I don't think you understand.  news.gmane.org isn't Usenet at all.
>  It's an off-usenet newsserver that carries any mailing list that
>  anyone requests.

	There are many such gateway services in existence.  The USENET
hierarchy is littered with various different news replicas of mail
traffic, as various incompetent news administrators let their gateway
services leak out from their private news network out into the
broader world.

	These sorts of things have been around for many years.  Gmane is
nothing new.

>  There's no reason for a mailing list to run their own mail-to-news
>  gateway anymore.

	This is the thing that totally baffles me.

	On the one hand, you're touting Gmane as a panacea for all
mail-to-news gatewaying problems that can possibly exist in the
Universe, but on the other hand you're complaining that the
mail-to-news gateway for this list/newsgroup has done irreparable
harm and that it should be abolished completely.

	There's nothing that Gmane offers that is of interest to us, and
there's not a whole lot that we're doing that Gmane would not also do.

	If you want searchable archives, Google is far better at that
sort of thing than Gmane could ever possibly be, and they have full
indexes of the comp.protocols.time.ntp and questions mailing list
content, so you can come at this either way you want -- either via
Google Groups or via Google Web.  There are a plethora of other web
search engines available to you, if Google doesn't do what you want.

	There's no sense in our trying to provide our own search
interface for the mailing list, since we could not possibly begin to
compete with Google in this respect.  And attempting to provide a
search interface for the newsgroup side makes even less sense.

	So, remind me again why you're rambling on about this?

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755