[ntp:questions] forwarding

Frederick Bruckman fredb at immanent.net
Sun Mar 13 16:43:22 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.18.1110671158.576.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>,
	Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
> At 10:01 PM +0000 2005-03-12, Hans Jørgen Jakobsen wrote:
>
>>  On my reader (slrn) the gateway'd articles seem to
>>  1) break threading
>
> 	This is the Message-id: issue.  This is not going to change.  See
> <http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/faqw-mm.py?req=show&file=faq04.059.htp>.

It is, indeed, a serious problem with the course you have chosen.

> 	There are good reasons why Mailman works this way, and until we
> can guarantee that all other mail-to-news gateway solutions have been
> fixed so that they work in a correct manner (and all other clients
> which are capable of posting newsgroup messages as well as sending
> messages via e-mail), there is nothing we can do.

It's not a problem for Gmane, because they don't gate to Usenet *at*
*all*.  I offered them as an answer to Harlan's point that some people
like to read mailing lists with a newsreader (as I do).  Now, all the
issues that the bi-directional gateway causes seem to to be easily
avoided, by simply not doing that.

I didn't say anything years ago, when you started the bi-directional
gateway, because I didn't understand what was going on -- I had been,
and still am, reading the newsgroup, so I undoubtedly missed parts
of the discussion on ntp.questions -- and I didn't even know about
Gmane then.  I learned of it when the NetBSD gateway administrator
announced that he was discontinuing service because there were now
superior alternatives, and he specifically mentioned Gmane.

You are also missing Ulrich's point entirely: comp.protocols.time.ntp
existed long before ntp.questions, as a light traffic newsgroup
containing interesting technical banter.  Why was this group taken for
ntp.questions, and not, say, for ntp.hackers?  Besides, the usual thing
is to set up an off-usenet newsserver to serve the mailing lists.  This
is what NetBSD had done, and what Gmane does.  To simply "take over" an
existing Usenet newsgroup is unprecedented.

I have requested Gmane.org to add ntp.questions as "gmane.network.ntp.questions",
posting by subscription only.  They already have "...ntp.announce" and
"...ntp.bugs", by the way.  Their policy is not to slurp in the archives
unless the administrator either requests it personally, or says it's OK.

--
Frederick