[ntp:questions] forwarding

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Mon Mar 14 15:56:05 UTC 2005

At 4:24 PM +0100 2005-03-14, Maarten Wiltink wrote:

>  I'm not sure I get that. I post to c.p.t.ntp with a Reply-To header
>  for people who want to reply personally over email, and no Followup-To
>  header so I expect news replies to go to the same newsgroup.

	Hmm.  I'm not sure that maps well to a mailing list environment.
Most of my replies are intended to be public, which is why they're
going back to the list.  We don't want the list munging the Reply-To:
header, because this might break private replies to some people.

	The correct thing to do in this case is probably to set a
be translated by the gateway into something like a Mail-Followup-To:
which points back to the mailing list.  Then clients would hopefully
do the correct thing with the translated header.

	However, I'm not sure that many clients actually pay attention to
a Mail-Followup-To: header.

>  I accept that the newsgroup is gatewayed one-to-one with a mailing
>  list. But whether you reply to the newsgroup or to the mailing list,
>  I *don't* want a carbon copy mailed to me personally. What _should_ I
>  set my Reply-To header to, according to you, and what does it mean?

	In this case, the Reply-To: header is probably the wrong one to set.

	I'm not sure I've got a good answer for this question, at least
not yet.  I'm going to have to think about this some more, look into
the various relevant RFCs, the Mailman source code, etc....

	In the meanwhile, I'll try to remember that you don't want carbon
copies of my replies.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755