[ntp:questions] Re: Time changed in Paraguay, how do I fix my clock?

Alain alainm at pobox.com
Mon Mar 14 16:48:41 UTC 2005

Maarten Wiltink escreveu:
> "Victor Rafael Rivarola" <vrrivaro at gmail.com> wrote in message
> news:632b2cc.0503140712.c2fbfc3 at posting.google.com...
>

>>You can see it certified here, in Spanish:
>>
>>http://anteriores.lanacion.com.py/noticias.php?not=100131&fecha=2005/03/12
>>
>>The article is in Spanish, but the important points are:
>>
>>- This happened because of Executive Order 1.867
>>- Time change occured on 0:00 march 13 (2nd sunday of march), 2005 by
>>-60 minutes.
>>- Time change will reverse (+60 minuteds) on the 3rd sunday of
>>october.
>>- This order was promulgated on the request of the Minister of
>>Education not to interrupt school classes.
>>
>>I already knew about this for some time, but I wasn't even sure if the
>>clock will switch automattically or not, it din't. How do I find this
>>out and make the changes if necessary, so that next time I can send
>>you a diff?
>

> NTP tracks UTC. Paraguayan "local" time is defined as a certain offset
> from UTC, and what has shifted is the offset. NTP is in no way involved.
>
> You need to tell your operating system this. On Windows, there was once
> a time zone editor in the Windows 95 Kernel Toys. On Unix, /etc/localtime
> is a copy of or a soft link to a file under /usr/share/zoneinfo and while
> I don't know the file format, it's bound to be described somewhere. You
> could also ask the people who maintain those files for an update, or the
> president who broke the old one.

I made a personal How-To at http://www.cosmodata.com.br/linux/ntp.html
it's in protuguese and not 100% tested, it is just as I am using it...

It does include an example on how to set automatica localtime change
using "zic", I believe it should be easy to adapt to another country

As you are from Paraguay the language should be no problem.

Once I have it fully tested by me and a few friends, I could translate
it to english...

Alain