[ntp:questions] Strange behaviour

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Mar 15 18:06:21 UTC 2005

At 2:05 PM -0300 2005-03-15, Alain wrote:

>  I have started some tests in that efect (to test ntpd sanity) and got
>  very strange results. I restarted the internet connection in order to
>  change my IP (something that can happen unexpectedly) ando now "ntpq -p"
>  is showing duplicate servers!!!

	I don't know anything about your configuration, but if you've
used the pool.ntp.org servers, note that the same server may be
placed in multiple lists, and this raises the chance that you may
accidentally try to connect to the same machine more than once.

	For example, a server might be listed in be.pool.ntp.org, as well
as europe.pool.ntp.org, as well as [012].europe.pool.ntp.org, as well
as [012].pool.ntp.org, and the main pool.ntp.org domain itself.  If
you were to try to use all of these zones as part of your
configuration, there's a chance that you might try to talk to the
same server no less than five times, even though that is
statistically highly unlikely.

	I'm sure there are other sites that also list multiple IP
addresses for the same name.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755