[ntp:questions] Re: server-selection interval

David Woolley david at djwhome.demon.co.uk
Tue Mar 15 21:04:10 UTC 2005

In article <86r7ihx99a.fsf at number6.magda.ca>,
David Magda <dmagda+trace050112 at ee.ryerson.ca> wrote:

> There is no dynamic 'time-server-getting' involved.

I don't think that is what was being asked.  I think the question was
about clock-hopping between the configured servers.  I think the answer
is as often as necessary subject to a server can only be selected if
it is the one that just responded to a poll.  (I don't know if the
anti-hopping logic prevents a case where each poll results in a hop.)

I think my original thoughts on this were that if he really needs to
know, he shouldn't need to ask, because he has an application that
depends on knowing the behaviour in a level of detail that is only
possible by careful reading of the specification.  Even if that is
not strictly the case, the purpose of the question needed explaining.