[ntp:questions] Threading test

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Wed Mar 16 23:42:33 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.14.1110983827.588.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org> Steve
Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> writes:
>Per Hedeland said:
>>
>>I'm not sure exactly what your testing is supposed to achieve (but I do
>>think that we should try to avoid a flood of test posts to the group:-).
>
>I wanted a controlled set of messages in which it would be easy to
>observe the interaction of the gateway with the newsgroup.

OK. May I suggest that the most "interesting" interaction occurs if you
post an original message via the mailing list, and then also reply to
that message via the mailing list.

>Obviously the gateway should be adding the References header.
>
>Let's see if this message breaks the thread...

Hm, quite an interesting test for me at least - of course you're
responding to a message posted directly to the newsgroup this time too,
so the actual Usenet-side Message-ID is available for your MUA. But even
without References and only your MUA's free-form In-Reply-To, I find
that trn threads the message perfectly correctly.

So, contrary to what I claimed elsewhere, the "Zawinski algorithm" (OK,
he should get credit for writing it down at least) seems to be entirely
identical to the trn implementation. And still the newsgroup is a mess.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org