[ntp:questions] Threading test

Steve Kostecke kostecke at ntp.isc.org
Thu Mar 17 02:49:01 UTC 2005

On 2005-03-16, Per Hedeland <per at hedeland.org> wrote:

> In article <mailman.14.1110983827.588.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>
> Steve Kostecke <kostecke at ntp.isc.org> writes:
>
> OK. May I suggest that the most "interesting" interaction occurs if
> you post an original message via the mailing list, and then also reply
> to that message via the mailing list.

I'd prefer to not flood the group with more messages...

>>Let's see if this message breaks the thread...
>
> Hm, quite an interesting test for me at least - of course you're
> responding to a message posted directly to the newsgroup this time
> too, so the actual Usenet-side Message-ID is available for your MUA.
> But even without References and only your MUA's

My MUA? MH (on the command-line).

> free-form In-Reply-To, I find that trn threads the message perfectly
> correctly.

slrn, on the other hand, does not.

> And still the newsgroup is a mess.

Once the threading issues are addressed we can turn our attention to all
of the other problems in the newsgroup: top-posters, users who fail to
properly trim quoted material, users who reply without context, users
who fail to search the archives before asking questions, line lengths
greater than 70 characters, paragraphs started with tabs, incorrect
punctuation, run-on sentences, etc.