[ntp:questions] ntp execution starts two processes?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Mar 17 17:08:02 UTC 2005

At 11:34 AM -0500 2005-03-17, Joshua Coombs wrote:

>  I've installed a dev snapshot of ntpd on a FreeBSD 4.11 box, and noticed
>  some odd behavior, when I start the process, I get two processes listed.

	One is the actual ntpd itself, the other is a DNS resolver
process which is started by the former.

>        Leave them both running and my time keeping drifts terribly, with a
>  pps adjustment rate twice what it normally settles at.

	That's a different problem.

>  server ntp.colby.edu            iburst          maxpoll 12
>  server ntp0.jensenresearch.com  iburst          maxpoll 12
>  server timeserver.cs.umb.edu    iburst          maxpoll 12
>  server nist1-ny.glassey.com     iburst          maxpoll 12
>  server time.no-such-agency.net  iburst          maxpoll 12

	Don't set maxpoll unless you know for sure what it does, why you
want it, what the possible risks are, etc....  Your machine may need
a lower maxpoll in order to detect and deal with your clock drift,
and if you force it this high, you may not be able to keep good time.

>  This is occuring on two separate FreeBSD boxen, both built from the same dev
>  snap.  Should I just try a later dev snap or did I badly misconf something?

	Without more information, it's hard to say.  What are your HZ
settings?  Have you enabled or disabled APIC or ACPI?  There's a
whole host of other potential issues.

	You could try the latest dev snapshot, but it may or may not make
much of a difference for you.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755