[ntp:questions] Threading test

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Thu Mar 17 23:08:15 UTC 2005

In article <slrnd3hs0t.uiu.kostecke at stasis.kostecke.net> Steve Kostecke
<kostecke at ntp.isc.org> writes:
>On 2005-03-16, Per Hedeland <per at hedeland.org> wrote:
>
>> And still the newsgroup is a mess.
>
>Once the threading issues are addressed we can turn our attention to all
>of the other problems in the newsgroup: top-posters, users who fail to
>properly trim quoted material, users who reply without context, users
>who fail to search the archives before asking questions, line lengths
>greater than 70 characters, paragraphs started with tabs, incorrect
>punctuation, run-on sentences, etc.

Again I'm not sure of your intent - but if you mean to say that given
all the intermittent shortcomings of humans when it comes to following
netiquette or whatever, we should disregard a technical problem -
essentially a sofware bug (or several) with known fix(es) - that affects
every message processed by that software before it is passed into the
group, then I most strongly disagree. The mess *I* am refering to is
only that which is caused by the gateway - the rest I wouldn't
characterize as a "mess".

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org