[ntp:questions] forwarding

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Mar 18 00:34:36 UTC 2005

At 10:59 PM +0000 2005-03-17, Per Hedeland wrote:

>  Well, I daresay that your definition of "developer" differs rather
>  substantially from the norm, but of course you may count yourself as
>  whatever you wish - and I'm sure it's appreciated that someone helps out
>  with the thankless administrative tasks.

	I occasionally hack on the code, which I believe qualifies me to
consider myself to be a member of the Mailman developer community, if
barely.

	I certainly get deep enough into operational issues that most of
the discussion that I personally find to be useful happens on the
mailman-developers list as opposed to mailman-users.

>  It's not a matter of code quality, but of policy/design decisions. Given
>  the references you have provided, it's clear that the developers have
>  had to explain and motivate their standpoint regarding the Message-ID
>  munging numerous times - if it was just a matter of coding, I'm sure
>  they'd much rather spend a few minutes implementing a config option to
>  turn off the munging. But by all means ask your developer buddies if
>  they would be interested in incorporating a patch that implemented such
>  a thing.

	It's a matter of finding the right algorithms to implement that
solve or avoid the issues that they have run into previously, while
also improving other aspects of the process.

	If you can offer code that will do that, I'm sure they'll be
happy to take a look at it.  If the code is written in something
close to the preferred style, there's a decent chance that the code
may be quickly accepted and incorporated into an upcoming release
version in the near future.

	I have some influence with Tokio and Barry, and if I ask them to
take a look at the code in a given patch, I think that we can at
least get the process started a lot faster than might otherwise
happen.

	However, I can't write that code myself, and I think we're
unlikely to get them to solve this issue any time soon if someone
doesn't at least supply a patch as a suggested starting point.  Given
everything you've said so far, you seem to be the most likely
candidate to provide such a patch.

	But we need that starting point, if we're going to get anywhere.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755