[ntp:questions] Re: Sufficient # servers to sync to

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Sat Mar 19 02:01:51 UTC 2005

Brian,

The selection algorithm doesn't vote; all it does is establish the final
correctness interval. Servers within the interval are truechimers, while
those outside are falsetickers. "Voting" among the truechimers is done
by the clustering algorithm on the basis of stratum and root distance.

When I say "vote", what I mean is that a majority vote among three of
the four servers is possible in order to declare the fourth a traitor.
All this says is the three servers are truechimers and the fourt is a
falseticker. The "vote" is not for the winner, it's for the loser.

Dave

Brian Utterback wrote:
> Yes, to all of your points. I wasn't dealing with the dispersion
> intervals and jitter and all that. I was just trying to illustrate
> why three servers won't cut it. In reality the offsets shouldn't be
> so large and all that. But if the intervals don't overlap (and they
> often don't) then the example stands.
>

> Brian Inglis wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 17 Mar 2005 12:59:29 -0500 in comp.protocols.time.ntp, Brian
>> Utterback <brian.utterback at sun.removeme.com> wrote:

>>> To add to what Brad said, what you really have is the following
>>> candidates for the time:
>>>
>>> 1. The interval 11:53-11:55
>>> 2. The interval 11:55-23:52