[ntp:questions] ntp 4.2 crash on specific servers

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Mar 19 03:22:05 UTC 2005

At 07:04 PM 3/18/2005, John Pettitt wrote:

>On the FreeBSD questions list a user posted that his ntpd crashed when
>the following servers were used
>
>server ntp-1.ece.cmu.edu
>server ntp-2.ece.cmu.edu
>server fuzz.psc.edu
>
>I can reproduce this on my servers by adding those three lines to the
>end of the config (4.2.0 release and ntp-dev-4.2.0a-20050303 both on
>FreeBSD) - I'm going to dig into it a little more and see if I can
>figure out why but if anybody has any ideas I'd love to know.
>
>John

John,

It's very hard to know what happened without copying what was said.
However, fuzz.psc.edu is a CNAME to mailer1.psc.edu which has
both an A and AAAA record and his system probably doesn't have any
IPv6 addresses set up.He needs to either upgrade to the latest
ntp-dev version or use the -4 option on either the startup line or the
server lines. This was fixed quite a while ago.

Danny