[ntp:questions] Threading test

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sat Mar 19 11:25:54 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.27.1111177301.588.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org> Brad
Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
>At 7:14 PM +0000 2005-03-18, Per Hedeland wrote:
>
>>  Of course I'm aware that mailman is a popular and (AFAIK) competent
>>  mailing list manager, but I haven't come across public newsgroups where
>>  it was being used for gatewaying before. Perhaps you can point me to one
>>  or two such groups, it would be interesting to see how it works
>>  elsewhere.
>
>	We use it on python.org to gateway comp.lang.python, and
>comp.lang.python.announce.  I'm still looking for other newsgroups
>which are also gatewayed using Mailman, but those two I know for sure.
>
>	I'd be surprised if lists.apple.com, lists.freebsd.org, and
>SourceForge.net aren't using it to gateway some newsgroups, but I
>have not yet found any clear indication that they're doing that.

Well, there are groups that are set up specifically to be gatewayed to
from mailing lists (i.e. basically the opposite of what we have here),
it is hardly reasonable to complain about the gatewaying there. And
announce-type groups generally have no need for threading, as they
aren't supposed to carry discussions. But comp.lang.python is a good
example.

I looked into that group (or at least the last ~1000 articles), and
while there are a number of thread breaks, the situation is much better
than here. I think this is due to two factors: 1) They don't generally
have a [prefix] on replies coming from the mailing list (there are a
couple of occurances of something like that, not sure why that is),
meaning that the "Subject sort hack" can do its job (there is still a
thread break of course), and 2) the proportion of messages coming from
the mailing list is significantly lower than here (on the order of 21%
vs 36%). Things like the proportion of originals vs followups coming
from newsgroup vs mailing list may also have an effect, but I haven't
looked into that.

I don't know if 1) is due to their already having the prefix-stripping
in, or due to not putting in a prefix on the mailing list side in the
first place, but either would do the job. 2) isn't something that can be
"fixed" of course, but I think it's clear that the high proportion here
is mainly due to several of the "regulars" using the mailing list (hint,
hint:-).

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org