[ntp:questions] forwarding

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sat Mar 19 15:43:15 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.28.1111178449.588.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org> Brad
Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
>At 7:57 PM +0000 2005-03-18, Per Hedeland wrote:
>
>>  So, if you could ask them whether they would be at all interested in a
>>  patch that implemented a configuration option to simply turn off the
>>  Message-ID rewriting, it would really help.
>
>	If that's all you would do, then I can assure you that they would
>be unlikely to accept such a patch.  Anyone who wants to take that
>kind of risk with their mail-to-news gateway can just go into the
>source code and comment out the lines in question.

Exactly. This was my original suggestion, which you rejected... And it's
no risk if you set up the news server side correctly.

>	If you were to provide a real patch that would actually solve the
>same issues as are addressed by the way Mailman works today, plus
>solving the other issues that you've identified, I think they would
>be likely to accept that.

But I can't provide a patch to implement something in mailman that
shouldn't be done on the mailing list side at all! As I've explained
several times, the proper place to do this is on the news server side.
It's simple, reliable and efficient, while trying to do it right on the
mailing list side (db holding recently gatewayed Message-IDs) is
relatively complex and requires maintenance (you need to expire the
Message-IDs).

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org