[ntp:questions] forwarding

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Mar 19 16:18:33 UTC 2005

At 3:43 PM +0000 2005-03-19, Per Hedeland wrote:

>                                                      As I've explained
>  several times, the proper place to do this is on the news server side.

	We cannot assume that this will be done from the news server
side.  We can't just remove the one protection mechanism that we've
been forced to develop the hard way, under the assumption that all
USENET news servers around the world will be properly administered.

	If that was the case, then we wouldn't have had the bad
experiences in the first place.

>  It's simple, reliable and efficient, while trying to do it right on the
>  mailing list side (db holding recently gatewayed Message-IDs) is
>  relatively complex and requires maintenance (you need to expire the
>  Message-IDs).

	If you want us to turn off the one protection mechanism that
we've successfully developed so far, that's going to have to be
replaced with alternative protection mechanisms that Do The Right
Thing regardless of how the news server is administered, even if
writing the code to do that is difficult.

	Writing tricky code that solves difficult problems is why you
programmers get paid the big bucks.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755