[ntp:questions] forwarding

Per Hedeland per at hedeland.org
Sat Mar 19 19:24:58 UTC 2005

In article <mailman.35.1111249355.588.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org> Brad
Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> writes:
>At 3:43 PM +0000 2005-03-19, Per Hedeland wrote:
>
>>                                                      As I've explained
>>  several times, the proper place to do this is on the news server side.
>
>	We cannot assume that this will be done from the news server
>side.  We can't just remove the one protection mechanism that we've
>been forced to develop the hard way, under the assumption that all
>USENET news servers around the world will be properly administered.

Of course there's no need for that, it would obviously be impossible to
achieve. What is needed is that the single news server that is doing the
news->mail gatewaying from this particular newsgroup to this particular
mailing list is properly set up for that task.

If gatewaying between a given newsgroup and a given mailing list is
happening at multiple places, Message-ID munging won't help unless all
gateways munge in exactly the same way - on the contrary, the munging
greatly increases the risk of catastrophic infinite loops.

--Per Hedeland
per at hedeland.org