[ntp:questions] Re: Arcron DCF77 ref clock driver: problem with timezone and UTC

Helmut Wollmersdorfer helmut at wollmersdorfer.at
Mon Mar 21 15:06:00 UTC 2005

Eric Voisard wrote:

> The receiver's LCD display indeed shows the local time (GMT+1), but its
> specs say that a driver can query the time in UTC. On its side, the type 27
> refclock driver says that by default it queries the time in UTC (as it
> should do anyway since ntpd only works with UTC times). And in addition it
> provides the fudge parameter "flag1" to toggle between UTC and local time.

The original radio signal is in CET or CEST. See
http://www.metas.ch/en/labors/official-time/hbg/code.html. I choosed
this as a reference as I don't know, which language you are common, and
they provide docs in de, en, it and fr.

I have receivers from HKW for HBG and MSF, and from Conrad for DCF. They
all work well with radioclockd over SHM from
http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html, independantly if the
clock is local time (on my Linux/Win multiboot workstation), or if it is
UTC (on my servers).

IMHO the driver should do the the mapping to UTC as all the information
is in the radio signal.

Helmut Wollmersdorfer