[ntp:questions] howto read ntpq output directly?

David L. Mills mills at udel.edu
Tue Mar 22 03:41:40 UTC 2005

Danny,

The NTP control/monitoring protocol was specifically crafted to be easy
prey for a simple perl script. The format of the reply packet is
freeform ASCII and is exactly what you see if you turn on raw mode in
ntpq. The packet format is described in Appendix B of RFC-1305. You
would need to send two pcakets, one to retrieve the association IDs, the
second to read the selected association.

Dave