[ntp:questions] Re: Arcron DCF77 ref clock driver: problem with timezone and UTC

Eric Voisard evoisard at MAPS.ON.ieee.org
Tue Mar 22 10:28:38 UTC 2005

Hello Helmut,

"Helmut Wollmersdorfer" <helmut at wollmersdorfer.at> wrote in message
news:spB%d.6663$zY6.949 at news.chello.at...

> The original radio signal is in CET or CEST. See
> http://www.metas.ch/en/labors/official-time/hbg/code.html. I choosed
> this as a reference as I don't know, which language you are common, and
> they provide docs in de, en, it and fr.

Quite interesting, thanks!

> I have receivers from HKW for HBG and MSF, and from Conrad for DCF. They
> all work well with radioclockd over SHM from
> http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html, independantly if the
> clock is local time (on my Linux/Win multiboot workstation), or if it is
> UTC (on my servers).

You mean you've got some of these simple OEM circuits? My HKW is a
microcontrolled one which cannot work with the above SHM driver I guess...

> IMHO the driver should do the the mapping to UTC as all the information
> is in the radio signal.

I agree, it's all the driver's job, it has enough of information to know how
to handle the time it gets. As the DCF77 standard provides the time in
CET/CEST, then the driver must know it and make the mapping...

Now, am I alone to get this problem? Do everybody with Arcron clone
receivers get same problems as me with the ntpd, or is the problem only
visible when the computer's timezone is not CET...

Thanks, Eric