[ntp:questions] ntpd on Windows XP

Kemal Oral CANSIZLAR ocansizlar at comcast.net
Tue Mar 22 18:14:25 UTC 2005

Hello,

I have a question regarding ntpd on Windows XP.

I have successfully compiled and run Instsrv.exe to register ntpd as an NT
service.

When service is run, even though the clock is several seconds off, it does
not initially STEP into correct time. I tried with "-g" parameter also at no
avail.

When I started it with "-q" parameter so as to simulate "ntpdate", the lock
steps into correct time.

Shouldnot ntpd first STEP and then SLEW the clock if it need be? And since
"several seconds" is more than the step threshold (=128msec), I expect to
see a large, coarse STEP initially and SLEW at the rest of the time...

Thank you,

-Kemal.