[ntp:questions] Re: Arcron DCF77 ref clock driver: problem with timezone and UTC

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan at uk.me.buzzard
Tue Mar 22 20:38:30 UTC 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:28:38 +0100, Eric Voisard wrote:

> Hello Helmut,
>
> "Helmut Wollmersdorfer" <helmut at wollmersdorfer.at> wrote in message
> news:spB%d.6663$zY6.949 at news.chello.at...
>
>> The original radio signal is in CET or CEST. See
>> http://www.metas.ch/en/labors/official-time/hbg/code.html. I choosed
>> this as a reference as I don't know, which language you are common, and
>> they provide docs in de, en, it and fr.
>
> Quite interesting, thanks!
>
>> I have receivers from HKW for HBG and MSF, and from Conrad for DCF. They
>> all work well with radioclockd over SHM from
>> http://www.buzzard.org.uk/jonathan/radioclock.html, independantly if the
>> clock is local time (on my Linux/Win multiboot workstation), or if it is
>> UTC (on my servers).
>
> You mean you've got some of these simple OEM circuits? My HKW is a
> microcontrolled one which cannot work with the above SHM driver I guess...

Yep, they are cheaper, work better and although they are DIY it is very
simple construction. I consider them to be "WinClocks" in the same vain as
"WinModems", except that this time you only use a handful of CPU cycles
and the benefit is that there is less circuitry between the clock and the
computer so you get better results.

Thanks to the generosity of Helmut I also have a HBG receiver as well,
though I needed to make my own custom antenna to get a good signal here in
northern England.

JAB.

Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195