[ntp:questions] ntpd code

Kemal Oral CANSIZLAR ocansizlar at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 01:36:26 UTC 2005

Hi,

I am trying to modify some portion of NTP source code to maintain a high
resolution, precise (as far as NTP goes) logical clock instead of modifying
the system clock of the user (as it may not have necessary privileges doing
so)... You can view it as intercepting the system calls from NTP to
manipulate a software clock; I am not sure how successful it would be... The
development and testing environment is strictly Windows...

I have observed two points in the source code by now...

Is there a reason for the latest 4.2.0 version not using ClockThread (in
nt_clockstuff.c) for clock interpolation (high resolution clock read)? I
couldnot find a place calling StartClockThread()...

Also, I believe developers/maintainers are already aware, but I am guessing
at method service_exit() in ntpd.c source file, the IF logic should read

(!debug && NoWinService == FALSE)

otherwise, it would result in error if we were to start the ntpd so as not
to run as a Windows service.

Regards,

-Kemal.