[ntp:questions] Re: ntpd on Windows XP

Richard B. Gilbert rgilbert88 at comcast.net
Wed Mar 23 20:23:44 UTC 2005

Steve Kostecke wrote:

>On 2005-03-23, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilbert88 at comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Steve Kostecke wrote:
>>

>>>Please see the "Command Options" section of
>>>http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/confopt.html
>>>

>>I think the above reference is what confused the OP! I know it
>>confuses me!
>>

>Here's an excerpt:
>
>|burst
>|    When the server is reachable, send a burst of eight packets instead
>|    of the usual one.
>
>|iburst
>|    When the server is unreachable, send a burst of eight packets
>|    instead of the usual one.
>
>It seems pretty clear if you understand what "reachable" means.

My first impression was "What's the point of sending packets to a server
that's not reachable!"  Ok, it's a very NTP centric use of the word
reachable. . . .

I think that this would be much clearer if it read:

" burst
A special purpose hack that is not intended for general use.  It should
not be used unless you own the server for which your specify it or you
obtain permission from the owner.  It places eight times the normal load
on the server."   (Add explanation of the exact circumstances in which
using this might be appropriate. (We certainly don't want people just
plugging this in "because it's there"!!!))

Iburst
Recommended for most servers.  Initializes the association quickly by
sending eight packets at intervals of two seconds except that the first
may be delayed by sixteen seconds to allow for modem dialup.  After the
initial burst of eight packets, the server will be polled at the normal
interval.  (It there are circumstances when it's not appropriate, say so."