[ntp:questions] Surplus Alpha as timeserver?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Fri Mar 25 23:47:49 UTC 2005

At 10:23 PM +0000 2005-03-25, Bjorn Gabrielsson wrote:

>  Whats the general opinion. Should a public server be running nano
>  kernal? or is that an overkill?

	I'm curious.  I am reasonably familiar with the kernel
architecture of *BSD, and I'm pretty sure I have the basic knowledge
of how the Linux kernel architecture is laid out.  None of these
involve micro or nano kernels.

	What are you thinking of, and how do you think that this will
help the security situation?

	Note that OpenBSD now ships with their own NTP server OpenNTPd.
While I've said some pretty nasty things about it in the past, and
while I recognize that Darren has been working on making
improvements, I do not believe that OpenNTPd is yet ready for
production use on a public server.

	I'm not sure how much luck you're going to get with the Reference
Implementation on OpenBSD, and I know you're not going to get any
support from the OpenBSD guys if you should happen to have any
problems.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755