[ntp:questions] Surplus Alpha as timeserver?

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sat Mar 26 11:18:38 UTC 2005

At 9:56 AM +0000 2005-03-26, Bjorn Gabrielsson wrote:

>  Maybe my wording was as bad as the spelling. It is the NTP kernel
>  discipline I was trying to refer to.
>
>          http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/kern.html

	Ahh, you mean the patches provided at
<ftp://ftp.udel.edu/pub/ntp/software/nanokernel.tar.gz>?  Those are
for Linux only, and are only applicable to older versions of the
Linux kernel (2.4.x and before).  If you were going to run Linux,
then these would be appropriate to be considered.

	Note that FreeBSD doesn't need any such kernel modifications, as
the necessary features have been built-in for quite some time.  The
availability of these features for FreeBSD, Linux, Solaris, Tru64,
etc... are discussed on the page you mentioned.

	However, I don't know if the same features are available in
NetBSD or OpenBSD.

>  I do not know if it helps security, but it _does_ limit the OS
>  alternatives.

	Indeed, if you're looking for high resolution time service on
UltraSPARC, your options with regards to the OS are going to be
extremely limited.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755