[ntp:questions] Questions about using GPS receiver to synchronize PowerBook G4

Ningyu Liu nul105 at psu.edu
Sun Mar 27 07:56:58 UTC 2005

Hello,

I need accurate timing (~1 ms) for an outdoor experiment. I have an
Apple PowerBook G4 and plan to use a GPS receiver to synchronize its
time. I have several questions about this issue.
1) Is the PPS signal necessary for the time synchronization? Can I get
1 ms accuracy from the NMEA message alone?
2) Since the PowerBook G4 doesn't have a RS-232 port, can I use a USB
GPS receiver or a RS-232 GPS receiver with a USB adaptor?, or maybe a
bluetooth GPS receiver?
3) Is there any other way to synchronize this laptop?

Thank you for your help.

Ningyu