[ntp:questions] Re: Mother Of All Clocks

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Sun Mar 27 20:00:45 UTC 2005

At 6:37 PM +0000 2005-03-27, Todd Knarr wrote:

>  Normally I'd have expected a dozen or so stratum-1s scattered around the
>  country syncing with each other (over their own dedicated network in
>  this case),

	He didn't say how many installations of these machines would be
present at the customer sites.  It could very well be that there are
multiple "monster clocks" at each site, and multiple sites around the
world.  I'd need to know more about the application to understand why
they'd need that many S-1s, but I know enough about the Meinberg
folks to know that they have very good reasons for designing things
they way they have.

	Also keep in mind that Poul-Henning Kamp currently has something
like a dozen identical GPS refclocks himself.  If you're going to
question the sanity for having multiple S-1 refclocks, you can start
there.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755