[ntp:questions] Re: Mother Of All Clocks

Heiko Gerstung hg at heiko-gerstung.de
Tue Mar 29 04:33:58 UTC 2005

Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote in message news:<mailman.2.1111950213.588.questions at lists.ntp.isc.org>...
> At 6:37 PM +0000 2005-03-27, Todd Knarr wrote:
>
> >  Normally I'd have expected a dozen or so stratum-1s scattered around the
> >  country syncing with each other (over their own dedicated network in
> >  this case),
>
> 	He didn't say how many installations of these machines would be
> present at the customer sites.  It could very well be that there are
> multiple "monster clocks" at each site, and multiple sites around the
> world.

They have two of them installed, just in case :-)

> I'd need to know more about the application to understand why
> they'd need that many S-1s, but I know enough about the Meinberg
> folks to know that they have very good reasons for designing things
> they way they have.

You can be sure that the customer (the one who has to pay for this
little gadget) also knows why they need it :-)

> 	Also keep in mind that Poul-Henning Kamp currently has something
> like a dozen identical GPS refclocks himself.  If you're going to
> question the sanity for having multiple S-1 refclocks, you can start
> there.

I learned that he is using a bunch of M*t*r*l* (please do not force me
to say the word ;-)) thingies, his roof looks a little bit like ours
(see http://phk.freebsd.dk/raga/ for a picture) ...

Kind regards,
Heiko

[...]