[ntp:questions] ntpd on Windows XP

Terje Mathisen terje.mathisen at hda.hydro.com
Tue Mar 29 11:14:25 UTC 2005

mayer at gis.net wrote:

> Parameters could not be passed to ntpd via the registry key that points
> to the ntpd binary. However, thanks to some extraordinary insight by
> Martin Burnicki, the it does work with the latest development code. I
> haven't had a chance to announce that yet.
>
> In the meantime you can always use: ntpd -ngq from the commandline to
> get an initial synchronization.
>
> If Terje wants to build from the latest codebase and make it available
> it would be useful for the Windows users. Or I could try to create a
> unadulterated build and make that available.

Your wish is my command: :-)

http://norloff.org/ntp/dev/ntp-4.2.0a@1.1354-o-win32-setup.exe

This package uses the work done by Heiko Gerstung (from Meinberg), to
implement a proper package installer (based on the open source NSIS).

The binaries was built using last night's ntp-dev code dump, i.e. this
is the current development code as of 2005-03-28.

I have tried out a few variations/options implemented by the installer,
in particular it seems to work both using the 'old' defaults of putting
everything in WINDOWS\System32, running under SYSTEM account etc, as
well as the installer defaults which is to make a new executable
directory as well as a dedicated service account.

Terje
--
- <Terje.Mathisen at hda.hydro.com>