[ntp:questions] Due diligence

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Sun May 1 16:30:14 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> As I am sure that you all know, there is a legal concept of "due
> diligence".  More of less, this means that you are trying to do things
> right, even if you are not doing things perfectly.  (I am not a
> lawyer.
>  No flames, please.)
>
> HP-UX ships with version 3.5f of xntpd (I think). For those NTP buffs
> out there, do you think the use of this old version is good enough to
> show due diligence?  My company supplies financial services (not time
> services) to cusotmers world-wide.  We use NTP internally to keep our
> hosts in sync.

Are you talking about the latest version of HP-UX. I assume you are.
I did see recently an issue raised that the NTP v4 protocol is not
even in IETF as a proposed draft standard and that some vendors are
reluctant to ship code that has not gotten at least some level of
standardization by IETF. A NTP wg has been set up and a draft for
the NTP V4 protocol is being worked on. Hopefully it will get through
the standards process quickly but all of this takes time. You should
take a look at http://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/IETF/WebHome for details
of the work being done.

Danny