[ntp:questions] Re: w32time configuration

Mike Saunders method at method.cx
Mon May 2 13:52:36 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2 May 2005 mayer at gis.net wrote:

> ----- Original Message Follows -----
>>
>> Hi Richard,
>> Thank you for your kind help.
>> But I mailed you only after that attempt. In this case the 'w32tm
>> /resync' command in the time server returns the same error(no time
>> data was available).
>>

> Install the Windows version of ntpd and synchronize that way. Forget
> about w32time. If you want to discuss w32time go to a Windows
> news group.
>
> Danny

Danny,
 	I've got 3 Windows Server 2003 DC's here between two sites with 3
member servers synching to them.  In Active Directory there's a PDC
emulator and that's the primary machine for the forest or domain that
controlls the time synchronization.  All other DC's sync the PDC and the
member servers sync to the DC they logged into.  How does ntpd fit in with
the PDC emulator role?  Is it pretty much a drop-in replacement for w32tm?
If I put ntpd on the PDC emulator, should I also put ntpd on the other two
DC's and peer the two that are in the same site?

-Mike Saunders
method at method dot cx