[ntp:questions] Re: w32time configuration

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue May 3 09:02:17 UTC 2005

At 8:52 AM -0500 2005-05-02, Mike Saunders wrote:

>                                                       How does ntpd fit
>  in with the PDC emulator role?

	I don't think it does.  I think it's pretty much orthogonal to that role.

>                                  Is it pretty much a drop-in replacement
>  for w32tm?

	No.  You can use w32tm to sync against ntpd, but not the other
way around.  This is because w32tm is an SNTP client (SNTP = Simple
Network Time Protocol), while ntpd is a full-fledged NTP server.

>              If I put ntpd on the PDC emulator, should I also put ntpd on
>  the other two DC's and peer the two that are in the same site?

	I'd recommend you read the community-supported documentation at
<https://ntp.isc.org/bin/view/Support/>.  If you have any further
questions, please let us know.  If you have any suggestions on how to
improve the documentation, feel free to register for a TWiki account
and make the changes yourself, or let us know what changes you think
need to be made.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755