[ntp:questions] Re: w32time configuration

mayer at gis.net mayer at gis.net
Tue May 3 13:36:46 UTC 2005

----- Original Message Follows -----
> On Mon, 2 May 2005 mayer at gis.net wrote:
>
> Danny,
>      I've got 3 Windows Server 2003 DC's here between two sites with 3
> member servers synching to them.  In Active Directory there's a PDC
> emulator and that's the primary machine for the forest or domain that
> controlls the time synchronization.  All other DC's sync the PDC and
> the  member servers sync to the DC they logged into.  How does ntpd
> fit in with  the PDC emulator role?  Is it pretty much a drop-in
> replacement for w32tm?  If I put ntpd on the PDC emulator, should I
> also put ntpd on the other two  DC's and peer the two that are in the
> same site?

ntpd doesn't fit in with the PDC emulator role. It has nothing to do
with PDC emulation. ntpd serves time. Period. It can replace your
w32time service but it does a far better job of it. Yes you can use
both peering and server modes in the same setup and all of your
systems not just these. Make sure you get some good external sources
of time for the servers you list in your configuration file. Peering
your DC's may be a good idea to make sure that they all agree on the
time and this also helps ADS synchronization of updates.

Danny